What Are the Symptoms of Diverticulitis?
- Abdominal tenderness, cramping, or pain
- Diarrhea (less common than constipation)
What Causes Diverticulitis?
Diverticula may form when naturally weaker parts of the colon cannot withstand the pressure. As previously stated, the presence of diverticula is common and can be harmless. But when these small pouches become inflamed and press into the wall of the colon, a person will experience diverticulitis.
You may be more likely to develop diverticulitis if you:
- Are over the age of 40
- Are obese
- Smoke tobacco
- Consume a low-fiber diet
- Take certain medications, like steroids, opioids, or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
Diverticulitis Surgery Miller Place, NY Depends On
Relief from diverticulitis can sometimes be achieved through non-surgical treatments like antibiotics or probiotics. However, some cases will require surgery. When non-surgical treatments fail, we recommend surgery to remove a portion of the colon.
Surgery May Also Be Recommended in the Following Instances:
- A rupture
- A bowel obstruction
- A patient is experiencing bleeding from the rectum
- A patient has a weakened immune system
Find relief from painful symptoms and prevent dangerous complications by getting diverticulitis surgery in Miller Place, NY. Visit Long Island Laparoscopic Doctors. We offer various treatments and surgeries for a number of colonic conditions, including diverticulitis. Common surgeries for diverticulitis include:
- Colectomy: The patient is under general anesthesia while a single incision is made and the affected portion of the colon is removed.
- Laparoscopic colon resection: This surgery involves three or four smaller incisions. Most partial colon resections used to treat diverticulitis can be completed safely and effectively with this laparoscopic method.
Contact us today to learn more about diverticulitis surgery in Miller Place, NY and find out if you qualify for this treatment.