What Causes Diverticulitis?
We don’t yet know exactly what causes this condition, but scientists theorize that it may be brought on by insufficient fiber in the diet. Fiber keeps the digestive system working smoothly. Without sufficient fiber, you can develop constipation, putting stress on the walls of the colon. This pressure may allow diverticula to form and become infected.
- Persistent pain in the lower left side of the abdomen
- Constipation or diarrhea
- Nausea and vomiting
Get Relief With Diverticulitis Surgery in Selden, NY
Typical treatments for diverticulitis include antibiotics, probiotics, or change in diet. When these solutions are unsuccessful, we may advise that you undergo diverticulitis surgery to remove the infected part of the colon.
Surgery may also be your best option if:
- You develop a tear that causes the intestinal contents to spill into the abdominal cavity
- You have a weak or compromised immune system
- You have experienced two diverticulitis attacks or one complicated attack
Common surgeries include:
- Colectomy: Also known as a colon resection, a colectomy may be done to extract all or a portion of the colon. A surgical opening is made in the abdomen and the infected part of the colon is removed.
- Laparoscopic colon resection: Instead of a large incision, this surgery involves several smaller incisions to locate and remove the infected portion of the colon.
Are you interested in learning more about the diverticulitis surgery Selden, NY residents rely on? Contact us today to discuss your options and find out if you’re a good candidate.