What Can Cause Diverticulitis?
Scientists and medical professionals have yet to identify the exact causes of diverticulitis, although they theorize that the ailment could be linked to a lack of fiber. Insufficient fiber intake can produce constipation, which causes pressure to build up on the colon walls. As a result, diverticula can develop in the weaker parts of the colon. An infection develops when stool bacteria is forced into the diverticula. Scientists also believe that diverticulitis may occur when diverticula themselves become irritated and swollen from rubbing up against the wall of the colon.
Common Symptoms of Diverticulitis
The symptoms of diverticulitis can range, but the following are present in most cases.
- Discomfort or pain in the lower abdomen, usually lasting several days
- Constipation (diarrhea may occur but is uncommon)
Get Relief With Diverticulitis Surgery in Smithtown, NY
Some minor cases of diverticulitis can be treated with antibiotics or even probiotics. However, when non-surgical treatments fail, we recommend diverticulitis surgery.
Surgery will likely be recommended if you experience any of the following:
- A rupture that has caused intestinal contents to enter and infect the abdominal cavity
- A weakened immune system (a result of chemotherapy or an organ transplant)
- Multiple diverticulitis attacks or a single complicated attack
If you’d like to learn more about the effective diverticulitis surgery Smithtown, NY residents rely on for relief, give us a call today. We will discuss your options and determine if you’re a good candidate for this procedure.