Dr. Charles E. Thompson III completed his medical education and surgical training at Howard University in Washington D.C.. It was during his time at Howard University that his passion for treating obesity was developed. Because of his outstanding work as a resident, Dr. Thompson began presenting medical research internationally. He was also chosen from a handful of surgical residents to present pancreatic research at the prestigious New England Surgical Society’s annual meeting.
Dr. Thompson continued his training at the Cleveland Clinic Florida by completing a fellowship in metabolic/bariatric surgery. He trained under the world-renowned Dr. Raul Rosenthal and Dr. Samuel Szomstein, Dr. Thompson has performed over 300 bariatric, endoscopic, and advanced laparoscopic procedures specializing in cutting-edge surgical techniques and minimally invasive procedures.
Dr. Thompson’s passion for bariatric surgery stems from the amazing results patients experience from these procedures. Aside from bariatric surgery, Dr. Thompson is skilled in performing minimally invasive (laparoscopic) procedures for the gall bladder, stomach, intestine, reflux disease, spleen, and many types of hernias.. Besides his strong training background and surgical technique, Dr. Thompson’s patient-first approach, caring bedside manner, and welcoming personality are what patients credit to their high degree of satisfaction with their treatment.
Hospital and Professional Affiliations
- Candidate Member, American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
- Fellow (post-graduate) member, American College of Surgeons
- Board Certified, American Board of Surgery
- Fundamentals of Laparoscopic Surgery, certified 2012
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support, certified 2012
- Advanced Trauma Life Support, certified 2009
- RealizeTM Adjustable Band Certification and Training, Ethicon Endosurgery Corp. 2012
- St. Charles Hospital and Rehabilitation Center – Port Jefferson, NY
- John T. Mather Hospital – Port Jefferson, NY
- St. Catherine’s of Siena Medical Center – Smithtown, NY
- Peconic Bay Medical Center, Riverhead, NY
- Port Jefferson Surgery Center