How Does Sleeve Gastrectomy Work?
To assist patients with shedding large amounts of weight, a section of the stomach is surgically removed. During the procedure, the surgeon staples off and takes out 85% of the stomach to form a “sleeve,” or narrow pouch, of about 2 to 3 ounces. This procedure is typically performed laparoscopically, which means small instruments are inserted through tiny incisions in the upper abdomen.
Shrinking your stomach’s size restricts how much food you’re able to eat. Additionally, this procedure causes a decrease in how often your body secretes the appetite-stimulating hormone that makes you feel hungry.
Who Can Get Sleeve Gastrectomy in Centereach, NY?
Doctors will usually only perform sleeve gastrectomy after you’ve attempted to lose weight through lifestyle changes such as exercise and diet. When these solutions fail, your doctor may suggest sleeve gastrectomy in Centereach, NY. You could be an appropriate candidate if:
- Your BMI is 40 or higher
- Your BMI is between 35 and 39.9, and you are experiencing a severe health problem related to your weight, like type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, or sleep apnea
Sleeve gastrectomy is a great alternative for people who cannot get gastric bypass surgery because they are too heavy.
The Benefits of Sleeve Gastrectomy
- Patients tend to lose between 50% and 60% of excess weight
- Resolves sleep apnea in 60% of patients with this condition
- Hypertension may be improved or resolved
- Since no foreign body is introduced, there is nothing to break, slip, or erode
- Shorter hospital stay, faster recovery, less noticeable scars, and not as much pain as open surgeries
If you want to learn more about our medical weight loss procedures, like the sleeve gastrectomy Centereach, NY residents recommend, set up an appointment today.