What Is Sleeve Gastrectomy?
The sleeve gastrectomy procedure involves the removal of a large portion of the stomach. Below, we will cover how the surgery is performed and why it works to help patients lose a large amount of weight.
In a minimally invasive laparoscopic surgery, 85% of the stomach is stapled off and removed. This leaves a small and narrow vertical pouch or “sleeve” (roughly 2-3 oz).
How It Works
By reducing the size of your stomach, you are no longer able to consume a large amount of food. As a result, you significantly reduce your calorie intake. Sleeve gastrectomy also limits the secretion of the “hunger” hormone (ghrelin) that stimulates appetite, helping you develop healthy eating habits like portion control.
Who Is a Good Candidate for Sleeve Gastrectomy in Miller Place, NY?
If you’ve tried to lose weight through diet and exercise without success, sleeve gastrectomy may be the right next step for you. You may be a good candidate for this procedure if:
- Your body mass index (BMI) is 40 or higher
- Your BMI is 35 to 39.9, and you have a severe weight-related health problem
- You are too heavy for gastric bypass surgery
What Are the Advantages of Sleeve Gastrectomy?
- Patients can lose an average of 50% to 60% of excess body weight
- Conditions like diabetes, hypertension, and obstructive sleep apnea are improved or resolved in more than 75% of patients
- Laparoscopic surgeries typically lead to shorter hospital stays, faster recovery times, smaller scars, and less pain than open surgeries
Sleeve gastrectomy is a permanent procedure that can result in long-term weight loss. Of course, the total amount of weight you lose depends on your level of dedication to changing your lifestyle after the surgery. Some patients report losing 60% or more of their excess weight in just two years.
If you’re interested in learning more about the sleeve gastrectomy Miller Place, NY residents benefit from, set up a consultation today.