Dr. Jon Leung came to Long Island Laparoscopic Doctorssm at the end of 2015 from North Shore LIJ – Staten Island University Hospital where he completed an Advanced Gastrointestinal Minimally Invasive and Bariatric Surgery Fellowship. Dr. Leung was born in Hong Kong and is fluent in Cantonese. He grew up locally in Valley Stream, Long Island. He graduated from Pennsylvania State University with a Bachelor of Science (Eberly College of Science, Dean’s List) and then earned his medical degree from the New York College of Osteopathic Medicine in May 2009. He completed his general surgery residency training at St. John’s Episcopal Hospital. During residency, he was given the opportunity to train hands-on with numerous world-renowned gastrointestinal and advanced laparoscopic and robotic surgeons at the prestigious Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York City.
Dr. Leung is very passionate about many things in life, a former competitive swimmer, a tennis player and a violinist to name a few. He has led a well-balanced life with healthy eating habits and physical activity of which he strongly advocates to all his patients in his practice. Dr. Leung is genuine, caring, compassionate, and always treats his patients as a whole with utmost importance. With his experiences and an outstanding work ethic, he strives for excellence in achieving the best possible outcome for his patients whether it be overcoming the consequences of obesity or metabolic syndrome or just maintaining a healthy weight or lifestyle.
“I enjoy performing bariatric surgery because of the effect it has on our patients’ lives and the lives of their families. We can help change the lives of those who have been struggling for years with their excessive weight and assist them in regaining that energy and fulfillment they once enjoyed in their past lives.”
Hospital and Professional Affiliations
- American College of Osteopathic Surgeons
- Board Certified, American Osteopathic Board of Surgery
- Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons, Candidate Member
- Fundamentals of Laparoscopic Surgery, Certified
- American Osteopathic Association
- New York State Osteopathic Medical Society
- John T. Mather Hospital – Port Jefferson, NY
- St. Charles Hospital and Rehabilitation Center – Port Jefferson, NY
- St. Catherine’s of Siena Medical Center – Smithtown, NY
- Peconic Bay Medical Center – Riverhead, NY
- Port Jefferson Surgery Center