What Is Adolescent Bariatric Surgery?
The surgeons at LILD prefer to perform the gastric sleeve procedure for adolescent patients, also referred to as a vertical sleeve gastrectomy. This is a weight loss surgery that involves reducing the size of the stomach. The gastric sleeve leads to weight loss because:
- It restricts the amount of food required to feel full and reduces caloric intake.
- It changes the metabolism and how the body produces hormones; including ghrelin, the hormone associated with hunger so patients have fewer food cravings.
Benefits of Adolescent Bariatric Surgery
There are significant benefits associated with adolescent bariatric surgery, including:
- Adolescent patients lose one-third of their total body weight in 9–12 months following bariatric surgery
- 100% resolution of hypertension
- 94% resolution of diabetes
- 91% resolution of sleep apnea
- Adolescent patients gain self-confidence
- Improves quality of life
Candidates For Adolescent Bariatric Surgery
Adolescent bariatric surgery is recommended for patients with a body mass index (BMI) that is above 120% of the 95th percentile for their weight and age.1 In addition, adolescents considering bariatric surgery should have a BMI of 40 or higher or a BMI of 35 with other weight-related health issues.
If you have an adolescent struggling with obesity, we can help your loved one find lasting weight loss and take control of their health! Contact us to schedule a consultation or for more information on adolescent bariatric surgery.
1 ASMBS. Childhood and Adolescent Obesity. Available: https://asmbs.org/patients/adolescent-obesity. Accessed September 9, 2022.