How long will I be in the hospital after weight loss surgery?
While your time in the hospital after weight loss surgery can vary, you may be surprised to find that it is often sooner than you thought possible.
At Long Island Laparoscopic Doctors, our patients often wonder how long they will be in the hospital after weight loss surgery.
The length of your hospital stay after bariatric surgery can vary depending on the type of surgery performed and your individual health. While some patients have bariatric surgery – such as the laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy – and go home the same day or the next day, in general, most patients can expect to stay in the hospital for one to two days after surgery.
Patients who undergo more complex surgery, such as a revisional surgery, may need to stay in the hospital a longer period of time to monitor their recovery.
Criteria for Going Home from the Hospital
Your surgeon will decide when you are ready to go home from the hospital. Prior to discharge, you will need to meet some specific criteria:
- You are physically stable
- Your pain is under control
- You are taking in adequate liquids to avoid dehydration
- You are ambulating well
- You receive your discharge instructions
Dr. Hesham Atwa, Founder of Long Island Laparoscopic Surgeons has noted that he is often amazed at how good his patients feel and how quickly they are ready to be discharged from the hospital.
Benefits of Earlier Discharge to Home After Weight Loss Surgery
Many patients are thrilled when they receive notification that they can be discharged to home. This is usually a result of the many benefits of home recovery such as:
- You are more comfortable at home. You tend to be more relaxed and sleep better in your own home without the interruptions of monitoring equipment and frequent interruptions that tend to occur when you are in the hospital.
- You recover faster. At home you are more likely to get back to your normal activities and daily routines faster. This tends to lead to fewer complications.
Our team at Long Island Laparoscopic Doctors will evaluate you closely and guide you every step of the way. This includes prior to surgery, throughout your hospital stay and once you are in the comfort of your own home.
If you have questions about weight loss surgery or feel ready to get started on your weight loss surgery journey, please reach out to us today.