Dr. Hesham Atwa is the senior surgeon at Long Island Laparoscopic Doctorssm with more than 19 years of experience in Advanced Laparoscopic, Open and Bariatric Surgery. After completing medical school in the top ten percent of his class and his internship year, Dr. Atwa received both the Resident Achievement Award from the Society of Laparoscopic Surgeons and the Outstanding Resident in Surgery during his final year of residency.
Dr. Atwa is a skilled surgeon known for his caring and compassionate bedside manner, garnishing awards as Top Surgeon and the Most Compassionate Doctor awards (2011 – 2017) and recipient of the Theodore Roosevelt award from John T. Mather and St. Charles Hospitals in 2018. He is board certified in general surgery with a mini-fellowship in bariatric surgery. He currently is Chief of Surgery and member at large of the medical board at Mather Hospital / Northwell Health and Director / Chief of Surgery, Director of Robotic Surgery and member of the medical board at St. Charles Hospitals, Port Jefferson, NY.
Dr. Atwa was among a handful of residents nationwide to be selected to participate in a Minimally Invasive Fellowship Program in Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery under Dr. Phillip L. Leggett,(considered a pioneer of laparoscopy surgery worldwide) at the University of Texas Health Science Center in Houston, TX. During his Fellow training, Dr. Atwa wrote together with Dr. Leggett an article on advanced surgical procedures that was accepted for publication in the prestigious Journal of Surgical Endoscopy.
In 2001, Dr. Atwa began his practice in the Port Jefferson area where he became the first fellowship trained laparoscopic surgeon in the community hospital setting. He has continued to augment his skill set with extensive training in both general laparoscopic and bariatric surgery. Dr. Atwa has completed over 7000 procedures within the scope of his practice, as well as, over 3500 cases where he assisted other surgeons in the area.
Dr. Atwa is specializes in an advanced alternative to traditional surgical procedures often referred to as robotic assisted surgery through the use of The da Vinci® Surgical System,. This very precise surgical platform enables surgeons to improve their range of movement and enhance their perception and skill during surgery contributing to better patient outcomes and surgical experience.
Dr. Atwa is one of the leading specialists in the use the da Vinci robot in the area of Bariatric and General Surgery resulting in his patients experiencing less pain and less blood loss, quicker surgical procedures resulting in faster recovery, minimal scars and less need for reliance on opioids post-surgery. Dr. Atwa has been appointed a proctor for the Intuitive Corporation, makers of the da Vinci system over seeing the training and performance of other doctors learning these techniques.
Hospital and Professional Affiliations
- Chief of Surgery and member at large of the medical board at Mather Hospital / Northwell Health
- Director / Chief of Surgery, Director of Robotic Surgery and member of the medical board at St. Charles Hospitals, Port Jefferson, NY.
- Board Certified, American Board of Surgery
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- Society of Laparoscopic Surgeons
- American College of Surgeons
- Fellow of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
- St. Charles Hospital and Rehabilitation Center – Port Jefferson, NY
- St. Charles Hospital: Chief of Department of Surgery 2013-2016
- John T. Mather Hospital – Port Jefferson, NY
- St. Catherine’s of Siena Medical Center – Smithtown, NY
- Peconic Bay Medical Center, Riverhead, NY
- Port Jefferson Surgery Center